Range Scientist / Botanist Job
Date: Oct 20, 2017
Location: Albuquerque, NM, US
Range Scientist / Botanist
Job ID: 2017-13432
Area of Interest: EN – Geochemistry
Job Type: Full Time
# of Positions: 1
Education (Minimum): Bachelor Degree
Experience (Years): 1
Golder Associates, a leading energy, natural resources and environmental planning firm, is currently seeking a staff-level Range Scientist or Botanist to conduct field vegetation monitoring work and prepare vegetation reports associated with large, complex projects that focus primarily on mine reclamation. The ideal candidate is a technically strong scientist with experience collecting and managing project-related vegetation information including data compilation and entry, statistical analyses and validation; document research, and map interpretation. Field knowledge of botanical surveys, vegetation sampling methods and plant identification are required, experience with soils and wetland delineations is desirable. The person in this position will be responsible for documenting all field activities in accordance with project procedures and coordinating with the project managers and clients. Knowledge of proper sample and data handling is important, as is an ability to prepare and implement project-specific work plans, Health & Safety plans, Sampling and Analysis plans and Quality Assurance plans.
In this role you will operate and maintain field and laboratory equipment, keep work areas in order, and must be willing and able to travel both locally and outside of the region as our clients have projects located throughout the Southwest. The position will be located in our Albuquerque office.
* Conduct field vegetation surveys and monitoring
* Plant systematics and identification in the field and lab
* Data entry and statistical analysis
* Prepare vegetation reports and biological resource sections of NEPA documents
* Consult with Golder project managers on overall permitting and environmental compliance strategies
* Prospective employees are subject to a pre-employment physical, drug screening, criminal background check, and DMV background check.
* Compliance with Golder Health and Safety culture
The preferred candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
* Bachelors of Science in Range Management, Botany, Wildlife Biology, Ecology, Soil Science, Land Restoration or related field. Master’s degree or equivalent experience is desired.
* A minimum of 1 year private or public sector experience
* Field knowledge in vegetation monitoring and survey methods including wetland delineation procedures
* Ability to manage data and perform various statistical analyses
* Ability to manage schedules and maintain routine communications with the project team;
* Ability to communicate technical information and approaches to project managers, clients, and non-technical staff;
* Strong organizational, analytical, and writing skills
* Field experience at mine sites (active and/or closed);
* Field or classroom experience in soil science and/or geology;
* Experience with geographic information systems;
* Completed OSHA HAZWOPER training and/or MSHA training.
Our staff benefit from:
* An option to purchase shares in Golder Associates
* Career and personal development opportunities and support of personal growth
* Employee mentoring program
* Competitive benefits and remuneration packages
Golder Associates Statement
Golder Associates Inc. is a drug free employer and undertakes drug and alcohol testing as allowed by law and pursuant to its Drug Free Workplace Policy. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Albuquerque
Job Segment: Chemistry, Geology, Scientific, Scientist, Botany, Science, Engineering