- Visit https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/519482800
- Open & closing dates 12/17/2018 to 12/31/2018
- Pay scale & gradeGS 05 – 09
- Salary$33,507 to $66,001 per year
- Appointment typeInternships – Career Intern Appointment
- Work scheduleFull-Time – This position is year-round. During the school yr part-time 16-32 hrs per week will apply; however, during school breaks and the summer period, full-time hrs may apply. The work schedule may be adjusted to meet the needs of the student’s schedule.
Few vacancies in the following location:
Relocation expenses reimbursed
Yes as determined by agency policy Help
This job is open to
- StudentsCurrent students enrolled in accredited educational institutions from high school to graduate level. Includes internships, pathways and other student programs.
Clarification from the agency
Open to all qualified students who are U.S. citizens and meet the eligibility requirements for the Pathways Internship Program as described below.Apply Print Share Save
- Duties HelpDutiesSummaryGeneral Information
In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
Salary Per Hour:GS-05- $16.06 (Step 01) to $20.87 (Step 10)GS-07- $19.89 (Step 01) to $25.85 (Step 10)GS-09- $24.33 (Step 01) to $31.62 (Step 10)NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
Learn more about this agencyResponsibilitiesThe USGS New Mexico Water Science Center is seeking undergraduate or graduate level students working towards a degree in Earth Sciences or Engineering to gain practical experience in hydrology.
As a Student Trainee (Hydrology) you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of hydrology.
- Assist higher level hydrologists in conducting hydrologic studies.
- Measure discharge of streams.
- Collect and analyze geologic samples.
- Measure water level.
- Collect water samples for analysis.
- Write portions of interpretive reports of hydrologic studies.
- Incumbent will operate a government vehicle as a regular part of the position.
The position requires moderate periods of standing and sitting while in the office. While in the field, considerable walking, lifting, bending, climbing, and stream wading is necessary to collect data.WORK ENVIRONMENT
Office conditions are normal; field conditions may include extreme heat or cold, rain or snow, and hazardous conditions such as ice or flooding.Travel RequiredOccasional travel – Overnight travel of up to 5 nights per month may be required.Supervisory statusNoPromotion Potential11
- Job family (Series)1399 Physical Science Student Trainee
- Requirements HelpRequirementsConditions of Employment
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- The entire period served under the Intern Program counts as a trial period.
- Housing will not be provided.
- Selectee must provide a valid state driver’s license & safe driving record.
- Selectee subject to successful completion of a pre-employment medical exam.
- Because this position requires travel for official business, the selectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30 calendar days of appointment. Individuals who have delinquent account balances from a previous Government charge card will be required to satisfy their existing obligation before a new card can be issued.
- If converted to a permanent or term appointment, the anticipated target position will be Hydrologist with full performance level of GS-11; however, the target position and FPL may change based on the need of the organization at that time. Interns must meet the qualification requirements for the position to which converted.
- If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts &/or letter from the school stating you are enrolled in a degree/certificateprogram on at least a half time basis in good standing and your expected graduation date.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- You will be required to operate a government-owned or -leased vehicle in the performance of your official duties. Applicants for this position must meet the following requirements: (1) possess a valid State license, and (2) possess a safe driving record. If selected, you will be required to provide proof of a valid State license and a copy of your driving record.
- This position requires completion of a medical examination at Federal expense.
- You must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); AND
- Enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; AND
- Students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis; AND
- The duties of this position should be related to your academic or career goals.
- You must continue to meet these eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program.
For more information on basic qualifications, please click on the following: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/sw/quals/1315.html.