|The key purpose of this VISTA Volunteer position is to coordinate outreach to support an initiative that focuses on creating and enhancing multiple linkages between people and the land and waters of the San Juan and Chama watersheds. The people who live in the San Juan – Chama Watershed region are diverse, with many connections to the land and water: spiritual, financial, historical, and emotional. The San Juan – Chama Watershed Partnership honors the many links that exist between all these people and the land and water of these watersheds, with emphasis on funding and coordinating watershed and forest health improvements that preserve the land and water for both local residents and downstream water users. This VISTA Volunteer position will support existing programs and generate new opportunities to create links between the Rio Chama (and the San Juan) watershed with an emphasis on natural resources and the people who live within the watershed as well as those who live downstream who benefit from Natural Resources provided by the watershed. The VISTA’s efforts will help alleviate poverty and empower community members in the region by providing education and skill development opportunities for natural resource workers, small business owners, and other partnerships in the region. The VISTA position will help the San Juan – Chama Watershed Partnership build sustainable capacity by fostering relationships between partners, members, and agency representatives. These relationships will long outlast the VISTA Volunteers’ terms of service. The VISTA will engage in outreach specifically surrounding wildfire mitigation in the region with the intent to further protect the San Juan – Chama Project’s infrastructure and the forested watersheds that surround it.|
|Further help on this page can be found by clicking here.|
Member Duties : 1. Revive and provide support to the San Juan-Chama Watershed Project’s mentoring program
2. Organize regular adult education opportunities such as speakers, a radio show, podcasts, etc.
3. Develop a citizen monitoring program in the region
4. Support activities to enhance and expand youth corps activities in the region
5. Help coordinate the annual Rio Chama Congreso, the annual gathering of the San Juan – Chama Watershed Partnership
6. Assist in the preparation and submission of grant proposals to secure future funding.
7. Participate in workshops and conferences on various natural resource topics in the state to promote the benefits of and issues in the Rio Chama Watershed
8. Assist in fundraising for the San Juan – Chama Watershed Partnership outside of grant writing
9. Help the San Juan – Chama Watershed Partnership develop a comprehensive strategic plan
10. Support volunteers on various committees in successful implementation of projects.
Program Benefits : Housing , Childcare assistance if eligible , Training , Health Coverage* , Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend , Relocation Allowance , Stipend , Education award upon successful completion of service .
*For details about AmeriCorps VISTA healthcare benefits, please visit http://www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare
Service Areas :