COUNTY OF BERNALILLO
invites applications for the position of:
Natural Resource Scientist II
JOB TYPE: Full Time Regular (FR)
LOCATION: 2400 Broadway SE, Albuquerque
DEPARTMENT: Technical Services
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Enforce all applicable laws and regulations governing wells and on-site wastewater systems,
water conservation, stormwater discharge, or other natural resource assigned
areas. Review plans and applications and perform inspections/investigations on private,
public and commercial facilities. Analyze and authorize permit issuance.
2. As directed or as self-determined, direct or conduct detailed on-sight
inspections/investigations of permits, complaints and violations regarding water, water
conservation, wastewater or sewage systems, illicit and industrial discharges, stormwater
discharges, solid waste, or other environmental matters.
3. Based on knowledge and practical application of codes and ordinances, resolve or
recommend methods for compliance, and determine when further investigation or referral
to outside agencies is necessary.
4. Recommend, develop, prepare, provide, and present written recommendations and reports
to the public, contractors, County management, and various county review boards and
5. Collect, process, store, retrieve, and analyze all forms of Natural Resource Services field,
office, and spatial data in both electronic and paper format, maintain records for inspections
and investigations, and prepare and submit cases for public hearing and legal actions.
6. Prepare and conduct public outreach education on water, wastewater, stormwater or other
natural resources issues. Implement departmental programs and initiatives.
7. Provide front-line customer service, permit issuance, and staffing as needed to support
departmental events, programs and initiatives. Provide technical support for low income
8. Train, supervise and participate in the work of junior staff members.
9. Perform other job related duties as required or assigned including cross-departmental
programs and initiatives.
1. Bachelor’s degree in water resources, environmental studies, earth or agricultural sciences,
engineering, forestry, biology, wildlife management, archeology or related fields and two
(2) years related experience or equivalent. OR any combination of education from an
accredited college or university in a related field and/or direct experience in this occupation
totaling six (6) years may substitute for the required education and
experience; Related education and experience may be interchangeable on a year for year
Apply at www.bernco.gov >Jobs >Apply for a Job