Environmental Health Specialist II M15
Salary $42,868.80 – $51,168.00 Annually
Location Albuquerque, NM
Job Type Full Time
Department City of Albuquerque Environmental Health Department
Closing 11/9/2017 11:59 PM Mountain
Apply here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cabq/jobs/1886973/environmental-health-specialist-ii-m15
Inspect, monitor and enforce established health codes, regulations and ordinances within assigned area of responsibility; conduct inspections of assigned facilities for code and regulatory conformance; operate technical equipment; interpret data collected; identify and evaluate new and unusual situations based on professional knowledge and scientific background; interpret and disseminate environmental health information to industry, the general public and other agencies; reduce the risk and severity of public exposure to environmental health hazards through surveillance and intervention; perform a variety of professional and technical tasks in support of assigned division.
Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements
Related education and experience may be interchangeable on a year for year basis.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, chemistry, mathematics, geology, ecology, biology, public health or a related field, plus four (4) years’ experience monitoring and enforcing ordinances, codes or regulations. Experience in monitoring and enforcing environmental ordinances, codes or regulations is preferred.
Possession of a valid Driver’s License or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operator’s Permit (COP) within six (6) months from date of hire.
May require Certified Professional – Food Safety (CPFS) Credential or National Swimming Pool Certified Pool Operator certification within six (6) months from date of hire depending on position.
- Basic operations, services and activities of assigned environmental monitoring, permitting and/or compliance programs
- Recent developments, current literature and information related to assigned compliance activities
- Methods and techniques of environmental investigation
- Environmental monitoring and compliance techniques and methods relative to assigned area of responsibility
- Principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation
- Office equipment including computers
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and safety regulations
- Advanced investigative techniques
- Advanced environmental compliance techniques and methods relative to assigned area of responsibility
- Advanced understanding of all aspects of work related to assigned area of responsibility
- Applicable forms and applications relative to assigned area
- Basic operations and service of ambient air monitoring equipment, calibrators, data acquisition systems and flow measurement devices.
- Principles and practices of scientific instrumentation, data acquisition systems and system integration
- Basics of food related microbiology and swimming pool chemistry
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Elicit community and organizational support for assigned pollution control programs
- Interpret and explain City policies and procedures
- Maintain certification and training as necessary or as required
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including the general public
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
- Coordinate and direct assigned environmental health pollution control programs
- Recommend and implement goals and objectives for providing pollution control services
- Gather data, research, analyze and recommend solutions to environmental compliance problems
- Develop, prepare and conduct education and public relations programs
- Conduct covert investigations on various facilities relative to assigned area
- Review and analyze permit applications
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair environmental monitors and ancillary equipment