Click here to apply
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
- Financial responsibility includes leading the development, submission, and oversight of the annual operating budget.
- Responsible for monitoring public and private grant award transactions. Assists in the development of private proposal budgets, maintains private award records, and processes invoicing.
- Generates and analyzes financial reports from accounting systems for the NM Board of Trustees, Sr. Management and Project Managers.
- Prepares, monitors and maintains project budgets and records.
- Performs annual accounting closing process and reporting.
- Allocates and documents pledges, cash, and in-kind gifts received in NM and documents the allocation of stock gifts received by the Conservancy’s worldwide office, on behalf of and for the benefit of work in NM.
- Approves timecards and invoices.
- Prepares and submits journal entries.
- Monitors compliance with Conservancy policies and procedures as well as financial compliance rules (FASB) that relate to gift acceptance, documentation, pledge fulfillment, and similar matters.
- Coordinates multiple tasks with several variables, sometimes under tight deadlines.
- Solves routine problems independently; consults with supervisor or accounting support team for unusual or complex problems.
- Acts as a resource to others to identify and solve problems.
- Communicates with internal and external contacts to seek or convey NM financial information as needed.
- Ensures that programmatic commitment to TNC policies and procedures, financial standards and legal requirements are being met and managed for compliance.
- Provides occasional office back-up to NM Director of Finance/Operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field and 3 years’ related accounting experience or equivalent combination.
- Experience with accounting/financial practices and analysis.
- Solid knowledge, and proven experience using and maintaining records in automated accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Technical experience with spreadsheet programs, general ledger reports and financial management tools.
- Ability to manipulate, analyze and interpret data. Advanced expertise in Microsoft Excel.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Accuracy and keen attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills (English) both oral and written required.
- Knowledge of GAAP and understanding of accrual accounting principles, practices and regulations.
- Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.
- Non-profit accounting and/or U.S. government grants accounting experience.
- Technical expert on moderately complex accounting/financial issues.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.